Fanfarlo and Booker T.

Just rounding out our July selection with some of my current July Favorites.

Fanfarlo's Luna--plenty of good songs in their Reservoir album so please check it out. It took me forever to decide which one to post; I ended up settling for the song they are giving away for free since I'm thinking that would be the hookiest one. They use a broad array of instruments including: drums & percussion, violin, keys, mandolin, glock, saw, bass, banjo, trumpet, melodica, guitar, sax, clarinet, accordion, fanfarlophone, & my favorite--noise.

This next song is my groovy selection a la mode. It's for the times when I feel like pounding on a Hammond B-3 air organ. This is Booker T. Jone's She Breaks from his Potato Hole album. To explain the title of his album, here is the lifted transcript of his NPR interview: "The term [potato hole] comes from slavery days, when slaves had to dig holes in the earthen floors of their cabins," Jones says. "It was the only place they had to keep food cool — and, in some cases, to hide it and store it." Jones further explains that Potato Hole is where he keeps his "cool, funky stuff." Enjoy.

Comments