Yes Way Jose

I often categorize music by what time of day is most optimal (is that a double entendre?) to hear it. There are certain things I want to hear when I first get out of bed, preferably loud and uplifting, building in momentum. As the day trolls on, I'll get into a hum with work, leaning on old stalwarts that keep me going depending on the mood -- jazz, indie rock, classical. Then, as I'm cooking dinner, I like to hear new stuff, as my mind is most open and free to roam. And, then there are the times I need to hear Jose Gonzalez. These times are usually late at night, when and if I'm by myself, or if I'm traveling, or if I can't sleep, or am thinking through something--or am just plain on the Bolt Bus from Boston to NYC (like--right now). Jose Gonzalez plays acoustic guitar as no one I've ever heard, a welcome change to the overplaying of acoustic guitar in pop music today. He actually uses the guitar to complement his unpolished but authentic voice. For me, these all come together beautifully in this particular song, "Hints," which leaves the listener with an array of chillingly haunting effects.

And, this particular song's message is very powerful to me and one that seems universal: that we all need hints from somewhere, to let us know if what we're doing makes sense, usually when we have a minute to reflect, or when we're waking up, or winding down, or driving late at night, or as he nicely sums up, "before we get tired."

Comments

  1. I love this guy...thanks for posting the video, i have actually never seen what he looked like!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment