gunning for the 2009 'que?' seedie



Nothing too insightful this month. I've had two songs in my 'putative CDC subs' playlist for a while that are just freakin' bizarre. 

The first is from the heavy celloers Rasputina, straight outta Brooklyn. I wouldn't have imagined that a bunch of cellos could rock, but alas they do. They are an acquired taste. 


The second is Dengue Fever. This track is off one of their earlier albums, but is also on their recently released compilation Sleepwalking Through the Mekong. I originally checked them out because I am a nerdy microbiologist with a soft spot for bands who name themselves after shit that kills people (Toxoplasma are best überpunkrocken!). Dengue Fever started as a couple of whiter-than-white brothers from Silverlake who got turned on to '60s Cambodian pop after one of them visited the country. They bought the instruments and taught themselves how to play them. They found the lead singer singing karaoke in Khmer in Long Beach and enlisted her for their band. Apparently they are critically acclaimed in Cambodia. I have to admit I kinda dig them. Her voice is haunting. 

Enjoi. 

Comments

Post a Comment