My Night With the Prostitute from Marseille :: Beirut

If you know Beirut, then this makes no sense. So much so that this might not even be Beirut.

Zach Condon, the one-man-band behind the moniker, normally releases music that is horn-heavy, Eastern European influenced, and folky (and awesome). The double-EP "March of the Zapotec/Realpeople Holland" leaked and appeared on iTunes yesterday, a few weeks before it's intended release date of Feb 16, and the sceond half of it should arguably be attributed to the alter-artist "RealPeople" as it is a complete departure from the first half of the recording ('cept the awesomeness).

Rich in electronic arpeggios, "My Night With the Prostitute from Marseille" is nothing like what you'd expect of Beirut. (Insert joke about Marseille not being anywhere near Beirut here). But damnit - the little mp3 file tag says "Beirut", iMeem lists it as "Beirut", so for the love of jeebus, so shall we. More importantly, it would be great I can get you all to say that "I liked my night with the prostitute from Marseille".

Anyway - for a taste of the more traditional Beirut, listen to the track "Postcards from Italy" below. It's only in, like, my top 10 favorite songs of all time and the home to one of the most beautiful trumpet hooks ever recorded, that's all:


(did you listen to it? look me in the eye and call that hyperbole)

Comments

  1. Aaahhhh. To know Beirut is to love Beirut. Much thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much welcome. I'm just glad it's out. Caught me by surprise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment