"Whistle While You Work" or, "Oh No :: Andrew Bird"

So if you don't like the whistling, and you don't like the violins, and you don't like the big words, then maybe this isn't for you. Except that it is. Andrew Bird's forthcoming album, Noble Beast, due out on January 20th, is supposed to be his most accessible yet. Of course, he's still whistling right out of the gate, and throwing around turns-of-phrase like "salsify mains". But check this out - he actually explains his wordplay:

Words get under my skin the same way melodies do. Something catches my attention and I file it subconsciously. It often begins with an archaic or obscure word I have not defined. I just like the sound of it and its elusive meaning gives it a mysterious shine. On the menu of a local cafe is an item called “salsify.” Before I reach for the dictionary I let my imagination run wild and decide that salsify is a burrowing bronchial root like a rickety old mine that burrows deep into something. It turns out that’s mostly correct which encourages me further. All I know is “salsify mains” sounds good to me.

That quote was taken from Measure for Measure, a New York Times blog in which songwriters write about their songs in the making. So that's cool.

The former front man for (really?) the Squirrel Nut Zippers will be in San Francisco at the Fillmore on Feb 19 and 20th. We've seen him at Coachella and Outside Lands, and recommend a ticket if you want to see what he does with that gramophone. (seriously - it's part of the act)

Comments