Melbourne Highschool Scene Unearthed

When you think Australia, you likely think Harbour Bridge, Opera House, Kangaroos and Fosters Lager. And you're not wrong on three of the four counts there... I'll let you guess which one is not common in Australia! ;-)

You likely also think Sydney Olympics. But did you know that Melbourne had an Olympics too...? OK - at this point, I've alienated most Aussies with my 'big noting Sydney-city' chatter so how to make it up?

How about with Stuart Cullen? This Melbourne Highschool aged rocker has been getting air play in Australia after being discovered by Triple J's Unearthed competition. And while this guy might not have a record label, he does have game. While he doesn't currently have an album, but you can download three tracks from the Unearthed website (linked above), and they are well worth the (free!) price. The "Sounds Like" and "Influences" sections on his profile tell the story.

Sounds Like: The Format, Postal Service
Influences: weezer, Queen, The Get Up Kids


But somehow he carves out a unique sound from that motley crew of musical muses. While I am digging all three tracks, I think the one I'd put forward for the CDC June 2008 edition is Stranger Danger. Hooray for the mighty synth! I wonder how Stuart and Gil Scott-Heron would get along...

Now who said you didn't find anything new at the CDC... hey?

Comments

  1. This guy is cool, G. I downloaded all three tracks he had on his site.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment