Sufjan - With Wings and All

So - my first May track comes off what I would have to call my favorite album of the last 10 years.  Even though it only came out in 2005, I can't think of any complete album in since the late 90's that tops this effort for me: Sufjan Stevens, Come on Feel the Illinoise.  FWIW, we went to see him recently in Sydney, and he looked like this.

While I'd really recommend the whole album, in the way that Dark Side of the Moon isn't complete track-by-track, or you can't separate the first three tracks of the Joshua Tree, this whole really isn't complete when divided.  Sunday afternoons are well filled with these sounds.

All that said, the CDC should really check out the title track off this album: Come On!  Feel The Illinoise.  If you're tempted to give up on Sufjan, don't.  He's worth the trip.  Making music is like making juice: some bands are the fruit, some are the concentrate and some try to squeeze the crap out of the fruit to get pulpy messy juice.  Sufjan, you could say, is as pure a musical fruit as you can find.

Comments