Billy Bragg & Wilco

Hi Seedy-see-ers. Thanks to Scott for the club invite. I thought I'd start slow with the classic Billy Bragg & Wilco song "California Stars", which is best heard with a glass of Blanton's on the rocks. My favorite part of the song is actually the very beginning - few songs have the ability to suck me right in, and the first few notes of the bass line do just that.

Dianna and I were first introduced to this song as a track off a wedding soundtrack from our good friends Jon and Cris (incidentally, Letter from an Occupant was also on that soundtrack). Seeing as 99% of all wedding soundtracks suck ass, I think Jon and Cris deserve props for having good taste in music. Making the soundtrack even better, right after the wedding we went on a 2500 mile drive for a family reunion with a *screaming* infant in the back seat (our kid has serious pipes). This track and a few others provided us with some much needed calm.

I hopes you likes it.

BTW - this video is hot :)

Rock.

Comments

  1. Welcome, Gus!

    Wow, the moniker "Seedy Seers" is so freakin' clever it just might usurp my original label of "Club Cadets". Well played, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, thank you. These days my poor, ubiquitous attempts at punny humor don't even get a giggle out of The Dianna. Sadly, she's simply been soaked in it over the years. She just says, in a monotone voice, 'funny', or 'I'm laughing on the inside'... which I consider high praise :)

    And I like usurp. Pancakes wouldn't be the same without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This whole CD just transports me to a specific time and place (2001 - crossing France on the way to Nancy). I really like the duet with Natalie Merchant: http://www.imeem.com/groups/sMA5CB6R/music/_0Lax0yj/billy_bragg_wilco_featuring_natalie_merchant_birds_and_shi/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment