Welcome

Welcome to The CDC, aka "The CD Club", aka "The Center for Disease Control"... ok just the first two.

What in jeebus name is this place? I have no idea. No wait - I have some idea. It's like this - I like friends, and I like music. I like cream cheese too but that's not relevant at this juncture. But as far as friends + music goes, I've been looking for a way to synergize the two.

There's a third thing, too. I like CD's. In this day and age of the iPod and it's enormous capacity, the dissolution of the record industry, and the increasing amount of effort needed to sift through the infinitude of music on "teh interwebs" - it's becoming increasingly difficult to discover music in bite-sized portions.

Don't get me wrong. I love my iPod(s). But there's so much on there. And I make a mean playlist, but it's not a trivial amount of work. Plus, I kinda already know the music that's on there, so it doesn't exactly introduce me to new music. And the guy at the back who just yelled "podcasts!" can pipe-the-f-down... there are some ok podcasts to be sure... but none that attempt what I would like to attempt here, which is to make a monthly CD-length playlist out of "new" music that demonstrates a modicum of coherence.

Sure - the CD will go the way of the dodo, and cassette tapes, and 8-tracks, but last time I checked, my car cannot play 8-tracks or cassette tapes or dodos (the beak tends to get jammed). And don't even get me started on the iPod + FM Transmitter Combo of Infuriation.

Also, after years of listening to CDs, I think my brain is used to processing that certain length of music. Less than 10 tracks/30 minutes, and I feel like I've listened to a fractured glimpse of something. More and my head struggles to assemble what I have just heard into a continuous story.

Anyway - that's the reason. Now the rhyme. It's simple. You guys (myself included), simply post track suggestions here for a month, comment on other suggestions, and based on what we seem to like, I'll assemble a CD-length playlist out of them. Then I send/mail you copies of the CDs. (OMG! Something tangible in a digitial world!). Where possible, I'll use DRM-free music, where not possible I will pay-the-piper, and in the end - when you hear that really cool track from our May '08 Mix and go out and by the artist's whole album - everybody wins anyway.

So here are the rules of The CD Club:
  1. First rule of CD Club - make a joke referencing Fight Club
  2. Second rule of CD Club - DO NOT TALK ABOUT CD CLUB.
  3. Just kidding - talk about it - that's the point.
  4. Post any song you wish, any genre you wish, but current-leaning songs will be slightly favored by The Decider.
  5. Post as many songs as you wish each month, but try and space them out and share the 80 minutes bandwidth of with everyone.
  6. If possible, include videos, photos or links to YouTube/MySpace/homepage content so others can learn more about your selection. But even more importantly: add the track as soon as possible to the embedded music player. Let me know if you need help.
  7. If you post a track in a given month - you'll automatically get a CD at the end of the month. If you miss a month, you'll have to ask nicely.
  8. You can volunteer to mix any available future month. I'm happy to mix all unclaimed months.

That's it. Really, when you filter-out my attempts at humor above, there's like, no rules at all, which is also kind of the point. And if this little experiment fails, I'm just gonna blame you anyway - so no pressure.

Ok, for the first month of submissions, we'll take this last week of March and then April. Posters should receive their inaugural April '08 discs in the first week of May.

Knock yourselves out.

[end communication]

Comments